Sunday, March 7, 2010

Silences/Rests in sheet music for piano?

Firstly I need to say a huge thanks to all of those who answered my question a few weeks back, whether or not 21 was to old to start learning piano. I took your advice %26amp; I'm on the look out for a good tutor in the meantime however, I got an absolutely amazing book, which enabled me to pick up all the basics I had learned as a kid in one day %26amp; I'm already playing lots of great songs, actually I'm totally addicted to the piano at the moment %26amp; I'm getting such a buzz from making some progress on it at last, I wish I was as enthusiastic about studying for my university degree :D Any way thanks again everyone, I'll stop babbling %26amp; get the this question. I've just began learning about rests and silences and what they can add to music however, the first piece I have to play which includes various different lengths of silence have notes in the bars for the right hand %26amp; the signs for rests in the left hand bars, surely then the silence won't be noticed? Any explanations?Silences/Rests in sheet music for piano?
The left hand does not play ALL the time; not does the right hand play ALL the time. That is the beauty of the piano ; left and right hands can do different things to achieve different effects.


Sure , you do not really hear the silence of the left hand but its absence accentuates what the right hand is doing and, in a way, you do ';hear'; the silence.Silences/Rests in sheet music for piano?
The piano is a special instrument in that it can play more than one thing. Almost no other instrument can play more than one thing at a time. As a result if you're playing one thing at the top end of the piano and one thing at the bottom end, if you wanted to just hear the thing at the top then you'd have a rest in the bottom. So if you just wanted one thing to be heard you'd have that rest there.





Rests are also used to get different phrases - if you wanted something to sound disjointed or breathless you'd put lots of rests in it rather than sustained notes. Rests are also usefull to enable you to jump around the piano - it's difficult to get from one passage at the very top to one in the middle without a break for instance.
if by left and right hand you mean treble and bass clef then the reason the rests are in the bass clef is because your left hand won't be doing anything at that time, but your right hand will. The purpose of doing this is to ensure that your counting stays in sink or if for some reason you took the treble and bass and divided it lets say for example a violin plays top and cello plays bottom - then the violin would be playing while the cello rested. I hope I understood your question and that this helps :)
You are simply hearing the pure notes of the right hand - melody only! Glad you are enjoying it - playing is a dying art.
Sorry dont get your question but maybe i get it a bit, well my answer is '; yes'; ......and huh? what explanations do you need?


Its just the way the music is made............


????????????????????????


what more?

No comments:

Post a Comment