Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Altering sheet music for piano accompaniment during an audition?

I am performing 16bars of a song for an audition. The selection I made, however, ends in a slightly odd spot in the piano part. (Although it sounds like a natural ending in the vocal.) At the very end of the end, there is a measure where the piano part works for the part I want. (At the end it does the chorus again, but only the second end of the chorus.)





What I wanted to do was rewrite one or two chords to make it work, and then just explain it to the accompanist - I've done it before. However, there is a full measure to be changed!





I thought about just having them turn the page and marking/explain to them what I want played.. but I thought that may be too complicated. Then I thought about actually cutting out the last measure from the sheet music, and attaching/taping it where I want him/her to play it - is that waaay too unprofessional? It's a community theatre that I've worked with before, so it's not overly important, I don't think - but I always want to give a good impression!!





Ah! I'm so stuck. It's really not an option for me to choose another song or another selection from that song... (It's really weird, idk!) So annnny input at all would be loved to pieces. Thank you!Altering sheet music for piano accompaniment during an audition?
I don't think that there's anything much wrong with taping the last measure over the one that doesn't work - if it makes it sound right then it should be fine. Turning the page is probably a little complex for someone who's likely to be sightreading! Just explain to the pianist that you've stuck the measure in because it makes for a much better ending - they'll probably appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment